Downsizing for your next property move can be a daunting, stressful and trying affair but if you look at it in a particular way you’ll find that it’s like any other project or major decision. A couple of mantras to pay special attention to are:
“It doesn’t matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” Confucius
“The secret to getting ahead is getting started. The secret to getting started is breaking complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.” Mark Twain
… that sums up the secret to downsizing.
While the end goal may seem too far away and the journey – completely untenable – if you can break it down into small steps then it’s much easier. Remember, there are no prizes for doing it all yourself; it’s OK to ask for help!
The key is to only take the belongings you love and give yourself permission to let go of the rest.
- Decisions – Decide what you want to keep and make sure it will fit into your new home.
- Clear the Debris – Tackle one room at a time – as you declutter, clear the debris!
- Clothes – measure how much hanging space there is in your new apartment and mark out the equivalent in your wardrobes at home. Only keep the clothes you love to wear or you just love. Take the rest, a bag at a time, to your local charity shop.
- Get your paperwork organised. A rule of thumb is hang onto bills and bank statements for 2 years and insurance documents for as long as they’re valid; if self-employed you need to keep everything for 6 years after the relevant tax year and if employed, you need to keep it for 22 months after the relevant tax year. All your children’s school reports and fridge artwork can be passed back to them to keep! Then shred everything else. If you have lots to shred employ a shredding company – you can hurt your back bending over a shredding machine for hours.
- Start a change of address list
- Update your address book and get someone to type them into a list which can be printed onto labels.
- Make a list of all business’, financial, charity, retail institutions that will need to be informed with their reference numbers.
- Remember to keep your energy up – keep eating and while you’re at it, get through the contents of your freezer!
If you would like a chat about downsizing, decluttering or getting some help moving home don’t hesitate to contact us on 01344 723292 or by email.
Why do you need the Homemover Specialist?
As the leader in homemover planning and senior downsizing we are always happy to help, no matter what your situation. It might be that you are just too busy to deal with the rigmarole of moving house; or maybe the thought of downsizing is just too daunting to face on your own