27 Mar It’s time to Spring into cleaning mode!
OK, so who didn’t get round to their spring cleaning? Well you’re not the only one and don’t beat yourself up over it – funnily enough the chaos and dust in your house doesn’t mind and it’s a waste of emotional energy.
I have to confess – I hate cleaning. I’d much rather be outside in the open air (whether it’s pouring with rain or beautiful Spring sunshine and we’ve had a good mixture of both recently). But, actually if I treat my housework like a gym workout, then it changes my mindset from a chore to something more personally satisfying especially if there’s music blaring.
Kevin McCloud, from Grand Designs and BBC 2’s Restore, was on Chris Evans Radio 2 breakfast show last week and he agrees. He said spring cleaning produces oxytocin in your head which makes you feel good. He’s into “super cheap” ways to restore and revive your rooms. He advises you to concentrate on a few things rather than try to tackle the whole house from top to bottom. So make sure you break the overall job down into bite size tasks.
- Clean the windows – inside and out. You’ll be surprised what a difference it makes to the amount of light coming into the house
- Don’t repaint your walls – wash them! Simply use an old kitchen scourer and a little bit of ordinary hand soap to clean and restore gloss work getting rid of scuffs and marks
- Clear out your cupboards and clean the ‘goo’ out of your drawers.
Listen to the clip here.
As The Homemover Specialist one of the key parts of my role is helping people to declutter their homes. This is SUCH an important part of my role that I am actually a member of a national organisation called APDO (Association of Professional Declutterers and Organisers) and they produced some great ideas around Spring Cleaning – #SpringCleaningWeek #apdo
- Don’t delay – don’t hide unwanted possessions in cupboards, shed, and attics – just because they’re out of sight doesn’t mean they’ve gone forever.
- Be realistic – break spring cleaning down into manageable tasks
- Don’t give up – one of my favourite quotes is from Confucious “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you don’t stop”
- Ask for help – clearing your own clutter and cleaning your own house can feel overwhelming (and boring). Put together your own posse of friends and clear/clean each other’s houses one house at a time as a group
If it’s all a bit much for you why not give me a call. I have lots of experience helping people declutter and Spring Clean. Drop me a line and we can talk about how the Homemover Specialist could help you, contact me on 01344 723292 or by email. For more top tips and latest news on care homes and home moving make sure you follow our Facebook and Twitter pages.